Friday, July 20, 2007

Deciphering The Varney Code, Day Two

There were so many ghost towns on our trip, it seems only right to post twice. The entire weekend I imagined what it would be like to live out here, in these tiny towns all over the countryside. Everyone we asked for directions or camping suggestions said "I don't really know, because I live 40 (50, 60) miles from here." I guess that sums it up: living here means a LOT of driving.



These two were taken in sheep ranch. These small towns often have very literal names. We did see some, sorry looking, sheep.


In Chinese Camp, Allegra, Andy and I did some (minor) trespassing. It was too tempting.


But mostly, we could just go and see things up close. This metal door had actual chinese characters written in the dust.

Nature has been reclaiming these houses for years.



Knight's ferry is the longest covered bridge west of the Mississippi.

With the roof gone, you really have an amazing view.